As we are working on writing fiction in our writing workshop, we invited Mr. Kew, high school teacher and author, to talk to us about the stories he writes and where ideas come from. He gave his top tips:
- Write pictures with words
- Get ideas from everywhere: books, TV, new stories, photos, paintings
- Come up with an idea and then think of questions
- Choose one main character in a short story and no more than 2 important ones
- Use nicknames
- Start with action
- Even if the place is unrealistic, write realistic people into the story.
- Write the title at the end.
Thanks for the visit Mr. Kew. Now on to some good storytelling ourselves.