Today we began our unit talking about Who We Are: online. Over the next few days, we will be chatting with our Mystery Skype class in Manila, Philippines about rights. As both of our classes have been studying children’s rights, we thought it would be great to have a conversation about them…online.
To begin, we started with some online expectations we compiled together as a class. These are ways we should act when chatting online:
- Be specific in your answers
- Focus on the topic or connections
- Be thoughtful in your communication
- Type respectfully, just as you would speaking to someone
- Write in complete sentences if possible
- Make connections with others
- Be helpful
- Ask questions
We watched a video about commenting online to help our discussions. Here’s the video. We also looked at the IB Learner profile and how this can help us when we’re chatting online.
Then, we tried it. Here is one of the chat forums we used: Padlet: