Who doesn’t like it? Today, we talked about how we might like to get some ice cream during the latter part of this year. There’s an ice cream vending machine just outside school with some easy, cheap ice cream: about 120-150 yen.
Today, we asked the question:
What would it be like if we went and got ice cream 1/2 of all of the Fridays left until the end of the year?
- Students figured out how many Fridays are left (10 not including the final Friday). They then halved the number (5).
- They then figured out how much it would cost them if ice cream costs about 140 yen. Altogether, it was 700 yen until the end of the year.
- They figured out how much it would cost the class each time and then how much we would spend as a entire class over the course of those 5 Fridays.
- They figured out what time we should go get the ice cream if we went 40 minutes before PE.
- Finally, they looked up how many calories might be in an ice cream pop…A few found the actual ice cream. Some estimated. They figured about 90-200 calories, depending on the type.
The final question was this:
- Is it healthy to eat 1 ice cream pop/cone 5 Fridays until the end of the year?
Our current unit is about Who We Are, and one of the things we are examining is our responsibility to keep healthy. How does ice cream fit into this? When is it ok? When is it too much?
Students and parents, have a discussion. What do you think? Please post your comments here. Looking forward to more discussion.