Online full version of this CV/resume
Inquiry-inspired teacher with 10 years experience teaching internationally in IB schools. Grade 5 teacher at International School Dhaka. Grade 4 and 5 teacher and former Literacy Coordinator at Yokohama International School . With more than 15 years of experience with students from first grade through college, I honestly believe students learn by creating and taking responsibility for their own learning. Through inquiry, they learn about the world and make the connections that mean something. I encourage students to play and to be curious, and I actively open up the world to them by giving them opportunities: to play, to ask questions, to feel safe, to communicate with people around the world and to take action.
PD and Training
- The Role of Mathematics in the PYP, Singapore February 2015
- Collaboration for Growth Project, South Asia, 2014-2015
- Kath Murdoch, Inquiry, Yokohama, October 2014 and February 2013
- PYP Creating Inclusive Classrooms, Yokohama, Oct. 2014
- Learning 2.013, Singapore, Oct. 2013
- PYP Concept-Based Learning, Yokohama, Sept. 2013
- Leadership Training, Yokohama, April-May 2013
- Learning 2.013, Singapore, October 2013
- Bill and Ochan Powell, Differentiation and Cognitive Coaching, Yokohama, Japan, February 2013
- Making Thinking Visible, Project Zero, Harvard University, December 2012.
- PYP Reading and Writing Through Inquiry, Tokyo, Japan, November 2012
- Learning 2.012, Beijing China, October 2012
- PYP The Exhibition, Singapore, September 2010
- Writing Trainer, First Steps, Australia, May 2011
MFA Creative Writing, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia (May, 1994).
BA, magna cum laude, English and French, DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana (May, 1989).
Teaching and Administrative Experience
International School Dhaka
Grade 5 teacher 2015-present
- Created new Exhibition focused on service and passions
- Led initiative to bring in laptops to grade 5 with increasing technology integration.
- Volunteer at several poor local schools and started sports activities to bring students in to ISD to connect with our students
- Led teacher training in technology, differentiation and Mathematics
- Led all-school curriculum Mathematics review team and elementary Mathematics PLC
Yokohama International SchoolGrade 4 and 5 teacher 2009-2015
- Created new Exhibition focus on passion, led grade 5 team to incorporate literature circles, balanced literacy, visible thinking, cross-grade critical thinking. Initiatives
- Solid and engaged use of technology in 1-1 classroom: collaboration through Skype, blogs, Twitter, and technology as differentiation,
- Class blog to open up learning to parents, students and others around the world.
- Initiated writing planners, developmentally appropriate spelling program, rewrote language reports, put in place balanced writing program based on First Steps: Literacy Wiki
- Reading: Initiated World Read Aloud Day at YIS, ordered over $20,000 of good quality literature and nonfiction, analyzed and chose new reading assessments and materials for ES, helped YIS enter first Kanto-region Book Bowl, worked closely with librarian to promote reading across ES.
Grade 1 teacher 2007-2009
- Co-chaired the school’s science fair
- Initiated 1st all-elementary school “read-in” day—devoted to reading and book-related activities.
- Rewrote the school’s assessment policy and language policy.
- Helped bring school to receive IBPYP certification